toodle pip

Farewell Sydney, hello UK!

Monday, December 10, 2007

Traumatised

Lucky no one had a video camera.. and lucky it was my very last visit to the Tiller Leisure Centre gym. This happened about 3 weeks ago, just before my Egypt trip. I left half my skin on the treadmill when I dazed out during 15min of intense running and accidentally stepped on the side of the machine whilst pounding at 11.6km/hr. What happened next can only be described as hilarious by anyone watching, and grimacing to anyone watching who knew me and felt the pain I was going through. For some reason there was no emergency stop cord on the machine, but I basically fell and spent the longest 10 seconds of my life trying to regain composure whilst the machine was rubbing the skin off my left knee, shin, and forearm.. and then ungraciously dumped me at the foot of the track. The worse thing was the pain afterwards (grazes hurt like hell!), and the time it took for the huge things to heal! (Big bandages are expensive in the UK!)

Well.. the scabs have finally fallen off.. and I went back to the gym for the first time today. I went on the treadmill for about 8 min, then gave up from post-traumatic stress, and dizziness from not allowing my eyes to leave my feet. It's going to be a long process of healing before I trust myself on this machine again.. but I think if I take it one step at a time I'll get there. *sigh*

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey don't worry, things like that happen to lots of people. I had a friend once who walked straight into a closed glass door. The echo of the thud was incredible!

5:23 am  
Blogger mich said...

Wow, what a klutz.. I had a friend who did that too! And just the other week she also walked into another glass door whilst exiting after strolling around a shop in classy Marylebone. The bang was so loud that passers by on the street stopped to see where it came from! How embarassing!

8:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey maybe we should put our friends in touch with each other and they can set up a chapter of the Glass Doors Anonymous support group?

2:52 am  
Blogger mich said...

Yes.. maybe we should. It's quite distressing I believe and all the support they can get would be good for this problem. We can help set up this support group? Devise some role-playing scenarios, maybe hypnotherapy.. help them develop an awareness of hard surfaces and how they can create hurt and grief?!

10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home